LOCAL SKILLS CORNER: How to make doughnut
Steps to make a doughnut.
1. Mix the yeast and the warm water together in a small bowl. The yeast needs warm water to activate; it will help the doughnut dough rise and stay fluffy. Let activate for 5 minutes.
2. Mix yeast, milk, sugar, salt, eggs and 2 cups of the flour. Alternately, you can use a wooden spoon and mix by hand, but be sure to mix the dry ingredients first, then the wet ingredients separately, and then combine the two.
3. Beat in remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time over low speed. Do this until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl, Knead the dough with your hands and knuckles for 5 minutes until the dough is smooth but elastic.
4. Set the dough into a greased bowl to rise. Cover with a towel until dough doubles in volume, Dough will be ready when you can press a finger into it and the indentation stays.
5. On a floured surface, roll the dough out, Cut into doughnut shapes by hand.
6. Heat the oil in a deep fryer
To avoid a greasy taste heat the oil up on medium high for five minutes, and then gently reduce the heat, slide the doughnut into the oil carefully turn the doughnuts over when they float up to the surface. Fry evenly on both sides until golden brown and remove doughnut from oil.