FACT FILES OF DELTA STATE
Delta state is indeed a great state greatly endowed with so many things; here are some facts about delta state-
Delta State covers a landmass of about 18,050 Km of which more than 60% is land. The State lies approximately between Longitude 5°00 and 6°.45' East and Latitude 5°00 and 6°.30' North. It is bounded in the North by Edo State, the East by Anambra State, South-East by Bayelsa State, and on the Southern flank is the Bight of Benin which covers about 160kilometres of the State's coastline. it is generally low-lying without remarkable hills. The State has a wide coastal belt inter-lace with rivulets and streams, which form part of the Niger-Delta.
Delta State was carved out of the former Bendel State on August 27th 1991 . The state was created following agitations for the creation of separate distinct states by the Urhobos and Anioma regions. The then Military President, Gen Ibrahim Babangida (Rtd) created the state using the name "Delta" advanced by Niger Delta region as "Asaba" another name advanced by the people of Anioma for the capital of the proposed "Anioma state." Delta state was once integrated in the Mid Western state from 1963 to 1976 and later Bendel state, from 1976 to 1991. The name "Bendel" (Ben-Del) meant Benin-Delta to reflect the integration of Benin and Delta province.
Delta State is ethnically diverse with peoples and numerous languages spoken in the state. The Delta North comprises the Asaba (Delta Ibo), Aniocha, Ika, Ukwuani and Ndoisimili regions, the Delta Central and Delta South is made up of Urhobo, Ijaw, Isoko, and Itsekiri. These groups are known to inter-marry. Most inhabitants of the state practice Christianity and very few traditional faiths.
Emmanuel Uduaghan, a member of the People's Democratic Party, was elected Governor and chief executive of Delta State in April 2007 and removed due to irregularities in the election process on the 9th of November 2010 from a court ruling.Uduaghan was re-elected in April 2011. Rosaline Bozimo was appointed Chief Justice in April 2003. The State has three National Senatorial districts (South, North and Central). In 2007 the elected senators were James Manager, Patrick Osakwe and Adego Erhiawarie Eferakeya
LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREAS
Delta state is divided into 25 local government
There are various natural resources in delta state.mainly known for producing crude oil,others are- industrial clay, silica, lignite, kaolin, tar sand, decorative rocks, limestone, etc. These are raw materials for industries such as brick making, ceramics, bottle manufacturing, glass manufacturing, chemical/insulators production, chalk manufacturing and sanitary wares, decorative stone cutting and quarrying.
Delta state is one of the states in Nigeria that shows great concern about education especially in tertiary institution.here are some of her existing higher institution-
• Federal University of Petroleum Resource, Effurun
• Delta State University (Abraka Campus,Oleh Campus,Asaba Campus)
• Ogwashi-Uku Polytechnic in Ogwashi-Uku
• Otefe oghara Polytechnic
• Ozoro Polytechnic
• College of Education(Agbor Campus, Warri Campus)
• Federal College of Education Technical, Asaba
• College of Physical Education, Mosogar
• College of Health Technology, Ughelli
• Petroleum Training Institution, Effurun
• Western Delta University, Oghara
• Novena University,Ama
BRIEF FACTS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT DELTA STATE
1. Do you know Delta state has about 122km of coastline?
2. Do you know that the delta state government is planning a $16billion petrochemical and fertilizer processing plant and it’s going to become Africa’s first industrial complex?
3. Do you know that the riverine areas of the state occupy about 30% of the land area of the state and 18% of the land area of the state is mangrove swamp?
4. You might want to know that the Itsekiris have one of the oldest histories of western education in West Africa, and are noted for producing one of its earliest university graduates.
5. Do you know that British soldiers arrived in Ogoni by 1901
6. Do you that the citizens of the old Benin Kingdom were even educated in Portuguese and some of them voluntarily accepted Christ.
7. The Portuguese were the ones who even referred to the Ubini Empire as the Benin Empire.
8. Do you know that,the urohobos are known to eat fish the most in Africa
9. Are you aware that koko has the 3rd highest rate of gas deposits in the world
10. Do you know that the present Delta state governor, Emmanuel Uduaghan is the only governor to be sworn in 3 times in 8yrs
11. Do you know that the Government attracts 16 billion dollars investment to Delta.
12. Has a population of 4,098,291 (Males: 2,674,306 Females: 2,024,085).
13. The people of ikiki in southeast of delta forbid the killing and eating of snail by their indigenes
14. Do you know that the Nana museum the koko is a monument, it contains some of the things the itsekiri’s got from the first whites they encountered.
15. Do you know that the popular ethiope in ukwaniiga has it’s source from under a tree.